ASIX USB-to-Ethernet drivers

Brett Glass brett at lariat.net
Mon Nov 30 00:04:23 UTC 2009

At 02:23 PM 11/29/2009, Pyun YongHyeon wrote:

>I think the large number of interrupts has nothing to do with
>axe(4). Almost all USB ethernet controllers are poorly designed
>to save cost so you can't expect reasonable performance from it and
>you should have fast CPU to copy received frames in a buffer.
>It's worse than rl(4) controllers.

Are there any that are better? I have several machines here that I will
be using as embedded systems. They have one Ethernet interface each,
and I need some of them to have two. The only other non-USB ports
on these machines are video and CompactFlash.

I've thought about using VLAN tagging and VLAN switch to double up
the Ethernet port, but this is quite expensive. So, I need the best USB
Ethernet I can get.

I chose the AX88772A because it seems to be a better solution than the
Davicom DM9601 (which is USB 1.0 only). The AX88178 has more buffer
space, but I am having trouble finding reasonably priced adapters that
use it.

--Brett Glass