usb/140883: [axe] USB gigabit ethernet hangs after short period of traffic

Pyun YongHyeon pyunyh at gmail.com
Sun Nov 29 21:39:00 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 02:50:03AM +0000, Brett Glass wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR usb/140883; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: Brett Glass <brett at lariat.net>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
> Cc: sub.mesa at gmail.com
> Subject: Re: usb/140883: [axe] USB gigabit ethernet hangs after short
>   period of traffic
> Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:04:49 -0700
>
>  The reason why the vendor name and device name is not appearing is
>  that the USB_VERBOSE option was not included in the configuration
>  of the 8.0-RELEASE GENERIC kernel.
>
>  The USB_VERBOSE option should be included in GENERIC. Otherwise,
>  any USB device whose driver follows the proper coding convention --
>  that is, placing vendor and product information in /sys/usb/usbdevs
>  rather than in the driver itself -- will not print the name of the
>  vendor or device.
>
>  The failure to print the name has nothing to do with the
>  malfunction in the device, which may be due to overruns. (The
>  buffer size currently allowed in the driver -- only 4K -- is extremely small.)

I'm not sure buffer size allowed in driver is 4K. Long time ago I
increased Rx buffer size to 16KB from 2KB for 88178/88772. That
change was essential to get 220Mbps for 88178/88772 on Rx. The
patch was not made into 8.0-RELEASE though. You can try the patch
from the following URL.
http://svn.freebsd.org/viewvc/base/head/sys/dev/usb/net/if_axe.c?r1=197565&r2=197566&view=patch