usb/140883: axe(4) USB gigabit ethernet hangs after short period of traffic

sub mesa sub.mesa at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 03:00:12 UTC 2009

>Number:         140883
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       axe(4) USB gigabit ethernet hangs after short period of traffic
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I own a USB gigabit ethernet adapter with ASIX Electronics AX88178 chip supported by the axe(4) driver in FreeBSD 8.0. It works, but it 'freezes' or 'hangs' after some traffic, like downloading at ~50Mbps for 5-10 minutes will cause the device to freeze. This has been happening since a long time on 8.0, ever since i bought the device and was running one of the early beta's. Upgrading to the final release of 8.0 did not resolve the issue.

Googling on the problem i found this mailinglist thread:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2009-April/005738.html

However, there doesn't seem to be a single conclusion. Even though my product ("Belkin F5D5055") seems to be supported according to the axe(4) manpage, it doesn't get detected as such, rather with a vendor id. Quoting dmesg output:

axe0: <vendor 0x050d product 0x5055, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 2> on usbus4
axe0: PHYADDR 0xe0:0x01
miibus1: <MII bus> on axe0
ue0: <USB Ethernet> on axe0

May i suggest removing the Belkin F5D5055 from the supported devices list in the axe(4) manpage, until a fix has been committed? I specifically bought the device believing it would work since it was explicitly listed in the manpage. As of 8.0, it doesn't even get detected by name. It is of course possible my device is of a different revision.

I would be happy to try any patches.

Also see:
>How-To-Repeat:
Connect axe(4) gigabit ethernet device
Send/receive packets using the ueX ethernet device
Device will stop receiving/transmitting packets after a short while
>Fix:
Workaround: re-plug device or use usbreset command. No fix known.