external DVD Rewriter

dan meslists at yahoo.fr
Mon Mar 23 09:04:24 PDT 2009

Hi !

I recently added an external LG dvd rewriter to a clean FreeBSD 7.1
installation.

-------
umass0: <HLDS Inc SuperMulti RW, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.59, addr 2> on uhub3
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GE20LU10 FE05> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
-------

As soon as I installed the xorg + gnome 2  ports these `odd` messages
started to continuously appear in ttyv0 :

-------
umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x4a - trying anyway
umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x4a - trying anyway
umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x46 - trying anyway
umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x4a - trying anyway
[....]
umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x4a - trying anyway
[....]
-------

After investigating a bit, I suppose these messages are a kind of an
answer from the umass driver to HAL inquiries ( ... disabling HAL the
messages disappear).

the doubts and questions are: ...is the command really an unsupported
command or is it a bug ?

In case it is a bug, to whom should I fill in a PR ?

Thank you !

dan