Belkin Cardbus USB2 adaptors too hot.

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Mar 18 12:31:41 PDT 2009

Hi,
Anyone else noticed Belkin Cardbus USB2 adaptors run extremely hot ?
I've been having weird things happen
	umass errs, g_vfs_done()da0a[WRITE(offset=....,
	length=131072)]error = 5 first errors after a 66G write,
	subsequent errors after just 1G more, (in retrospect when
	truly hot)
I've built a break out box to check Voltages & Current
	delivered into external USB2 to IDE enclosures,
	just bought another new 250G IDE for another enclosure,
	lots of enclosures & usb2 hub power blocks tried, then I
	remembered this card used to run hot on FreeBSD-6, in this
	Toshiba Satellite S5100-603, & I think BSD + this laptop
	cooked my brothers identical Belkin card too last year.
	The laptop BTW:
	http://www.berklix.com/~jhs/hardware/toshiba/satellite.s5100-603/
So 2 things:
	FreeBSD-7.1-RELEASE is still cooking by default.
	I recall cardbus can run at 2 different voltages ?
	Well we need to change something to detect that.
	Anyone want to throw me an RTFM URL start point for reading ?
	(Sorry to ask here & not read first, trying to catch a boat ASAP).

Cheers,
Julian
--
Julian Stacey: BSDUnixLinux C Prog Admin SysEng Consult Munich www.berklix.com