Latest kernel breaks scanner

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Mon Mar 9 06:02:11 PDT 2009

On Monday 09 March 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200903091233.55089.hselasky at c2i.net>
>
>             Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> writes:
> : On Sunday 08 March 2009, Andrew Thompson wrote:
> : > On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 03:43:53PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > > In message: <20090308203157.GC30672 at citylink.fud.org.nz>
> : > >
> : > >             Andrew Thompson <thompsa at FreeBSD.org> writes:
> : > > : On Sun, Mar 08, 2009 at 01:06:59PM -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> : > > : > Sigh.  Had a working system from Mar 4th.  Upgraded now it
> : > > : > doesn't work.  Scanner not found by xsane.
> : > > :
> : > > : Are you sure its not this?
> : > > :
> : > > : 20090227:
> : > > :    The /dev handling for the new USB stack has changed, a
> : > > :    buildworld/installworld is required for libusb20.
> : > >
> : > > Yes.  Been there, done that.  Also have the libmap.conf changes in
> : > > place for old binaries that had worked for months before that.  xsane
> : > > used to just work in this setup, but now fails.  Looks like some kind
> : > > of mismatch in the ABI:
> : > >
> : > > found USB scanner (UNKNOWN vendor and product) at device
> : > > /dev/uscanner0
> : >
> : > Not sure what would have caused that. Before you spend too much time on
> : > this you may want to note that the integration patches for libusb into
> : > the ports build will likely be committed tomorrow. This will bump the
> : > port numbers so the affected ports rebuild, hopefully sane with DTRT
> : > after that.
> :
> : Maybe you need to chown or rm /dev/uscanner0 to enforce use of libusb
> : backend?
>
> never had to do that before...

Or recompile all of the sane backends. Probably an IOCTL on the uscanner0 is
broken, and the fallback to libusb backend will maybe solve your problem
temporarily if you rm /dev/uscanner0 .

Actually that is another question:

Should we remove ID's from uscanner.c which will work fine attaching through
the libusb backend ?