new usb stack - boot problem from usb hdd

Vinicius Abrahao vinnix.bsd at gmail.com
Mon Jun 29 23:07:47 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 5:11 AM, Hans Petter Selasky<hselasky at c2i.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 27 June 2009 06:32:54 Vinicius Abrahao wrote:
>> 9) What I'm doing wrong?
>
> I don't think this is your fault. My initial patch for this problem had a loop
> in the mount root code, trying to mount the root device several times. Now
> several other people did not agree about that, and made the USB enumeration
> synchronous instead. That does not always work, because USB devices do not
> always show up immediately when the power is turned on. I would strongly
> suggest to add a flag to the mount root code in sys/kern/, allowing the mount
> root code to automatically retry the medium. It is also important that the
> mountroot code calls pause() and do not spin in a while loop.
>
> --HPS

Hi Hans,

Thanks for your reply.
I had lucky here, changing the external disk to other usb port, but
lsusb shows me
that only change is the mouse (I change the mouse port with the external hd),
by the way this usb-ide adapter has power supply by usb too.

> Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen3.2: ID 0461:4d15 Primax Electronics, Ltd (mouse on new usb port, boot is working)
< Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen2.2: ID 0461:4d15 Primax Electronics,
Ltd (mouse on old usb port, boot not working)

Strange that usb-ide adapter get the same ugen ports... but is working now!
If you need someone to test any modifications I have some time here.

Thanks a lot,
Vinnix / Vinicius