SANE, USB image scanner and -CURRENT

Marc Fonvieille blackend at FreeBSD.org
Sun Jul 26 13:07:02 UTC 2009

Hello,

I'm trying to make run a scanner using the USB interface under 8.0-BETA2
with graphics/sane-backends and graphics/sane-frontends but SANE is
unable to detect the scanner.

When I plug the scanner dmesg gives:

ugen2.2: <Canon> at usbus2

'usbconfig dump_device_desc' gives

ugen2.2: <CanoScan Canon> at usbus2, cfg=0 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps)
pwr=ON

  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0110
  bDeviceClass = 0x00ff
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x00ff
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x04a9
  idProduct = 0x220e
  bcdDevice = 0x0100
  iManufacturer = 0x0001  <Canon>
  iProduct = 0x0002  <CanoScan>
  iSerialNumber = 0x0000  <no string>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

Both 'sane-find-scanner -q' and 'scanimage -L' are unable to find any
scanner.

So I tried to inform SANE via /usr/local/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf (the
right config file for my scanner) that the scanner was

[usb] 0x04a9 0x220e

or (2nd try)
[usb] 0x04a9 0x220e
device /dev/ugen2.2

or (3rd try)
[usb]
device /dev/ugen2.2

but both 'sane-find-scanner -q' and 'scanimage -L' still gives nothing.

Then I read the CVS logs about SANE's ports and
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/ports/graphics/sane-backends/Makefile
seems to say that SANE is broken since removal of uscanner(8), am I
right?

--
Marc