xsane busted with usb2

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Tue Jan 6 08:18:49 PST 2009

On Tuesday 06 January 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <200901061653.11745.hselasky at c2i.net>
>
>             Hans Petter Selasky <hselasky at c2i.net> writes:
> : On Tuesday 06 January 2009, M. Warner Losh wrote:

I agree that we should put something somewhere about the most common problems
switching to USB2 and its solutions. Maybe in UPDATING?

> : > I'm still finding odd things
> : > that don't work with usb2, and so far my fallback has been to just use
> : > the old stack for those things...
> :
> : Can you explain a little bit more what you mean. Are these things Host
> : Controller drivers, middle ware or USB device drivers?
>
> Devices are what are failing.
>
> : Are you sure that you have tried every possible command in usbconfig and
> : your device does still not work?
>
> I haven't.  But usually it is things like burning a DVD from a usb
> disk doesn't work to a USB DVD player (using storage_ata).  Burning it
> from a firewire disk does seem to work.  There's no I/O errors when
> this happens.  The uscanner thing that maybe this will fix.  I've had
> trouble unloading usb2 modules since sometimes they hang.  It can be
> quite time consuming to file bug reports on all these things, since I
> don't want to file one that wastes your time for being too vague or
> unreproducible.  I've only recently started using usb2 heavily for
> day-to-day tasks rather than just-test-it-out tasks I'd been doing
> before.

Hi,

If the USB device does not respond, its firmware might have crashed! Simply
put: The new USB stack is in some cases several times faster than the old
one. Some USB devices simply die because the firmware on the USB device is
badly designed.

Some options:

a) Send the device to me for debugging (I cannot promise that you get it
back).
b) Sit down an adjust the timing of the control transfers until you hit the
needle.