USB2: umass not detected correctly, axe not transmitting

Hiroharu Tamaru tamaru at myn.rcast.u-tokyo.ac.jp
Wed Feb 11 04:46:16 PST 2009

Thank you, Hans,

At Wed, 11 Feb 2009 09:54:36 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wednesday 11 February 2009, Hiroharu Tamaru wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have an Atom Z530 semi-embedded system and tried the new USB2 stack.
> > I found some oddities and decided to report here.
> >
> > It is running 8.0-CURRENT as of yesterday, and I have GENERIC and USB2
> > kernels to test with.  I am testing with two usb devices:
> >
> > umass0: <JetFlash Mass Storage Device, class 0/0, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2> on
> > usbus3 axe0: <ASIX Electronics AX88178, rev 2.00/0.01, addr 3> on usbus3
> >
> > First about the USB memory stick:
> >
> > 1) I setup a bootable USB memory stick, and this system
> >    boots off umass da0 if I have the old USB1 kernel.
> >    However, with USB2 kernel, it does not detect da0 at its final stage,
> >    and fails to find the root filesystem.
> >    I mean that the 'da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0' message is not
> >    shown, and it is not listed in the kernel detected list of disks at
> >    'mountroot>' prompt (shown by typing '?').
>
> This is a known issue, see:
>
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/USB

OK. I missed that. Thanks.  Now rebuilding... but will take some while.

I will be back with the hw.usb2.umass.debug and hw.usb2.axe.dubug set, too.

> What platform are you using?

It's called 'Low enegy profile FA PC: SFC-A016(L)' from
Interface Corp., but, there're only Japanese pages at the
moment.  Probably you can get some idea though:
http://www.interface.co.jp/sfc/sfc_spec.asp

They started making English pages but it is still quite empty:
https://www5.interface-world.com/

FWIW, it has a mini AB connecter, aside from the normal A
connectors, and they say that they have an USB client-side
driver for it on Windows XP embeded.  Can we make use of
this part of the hardware on FreeBSD as well?

Hiroharu