newusb/usb2 build breakage in tinybsd

Steve Calfee stevecalfee at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 11:36:29 PST 2009

Hi Hans,

On Sat, Jan 31, 2009 at 1:13 AM, Hans Petter Selasky
<hselasky at freebsd.org> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> On Saturday 31 January 2009, Steve Calfee wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am trying to backport usb2 to freebsd7.0. I have followed the
>> instructions at http://www.selasky.org/hans_petter/usb4bsd/index.html
>> and things work ok on the install until I get to the recommended make
>> step for me to manually handle (printed out by your make file).
>> Incidentally, your web site should say to build in the FreeBSD.usb2
>> directory, I think.
>>
>> One complication is that I am crosscompiling with the tinybsd script -
>> at least the target is an x86.
>>
>> I was held up for awhile because I missed the instruction echo'ed from
>> the ..../FreeBSD.usb2/Makefile telling me to patch/change kmod.mk.
>> Missing that causes the make to stop because usb2_if.h is missing.
>
> Are you building the kernel or Modules?

I tried both. But then I did a little RTFM of your website and the
install makefile. When I used the make install, and changed kmod.mk
the make succeeded except for a few USB2 routines (serial*, wlan*,
bluetooth* and storage_rio) that must be using new kernel APIs because
their build is broken in my FreeBSD7.0. I removed those broken module
builds from the Makefile at ...modules/usb2/Makefile. For now I will
ignore them and work on verifying the backport works.

Thanks for your opinion on removing td_fpop. I'll let you know if
removing that breaks things.

Regards, Steve