RELENG_8 + UPS USB Interface + NUT

Vinicius Abrahao vinnix.bsd at gmail.com
Sun Dec 20 06:59:51 UTC 2009

Guys, how are you?

Do you know if NUT supports the new usb stack, that came with RELENG_8 ?

I'm following this good how to[1] find at google, but without success.
# usbdevs -v
shows me nothing, but all other things are working fine!

That is my UPS (a SMS one), by lsusb[2]:
dev/ugen1.3: ID 04b4:5500 Cypress Semiconductor Corp. HID->COM RS232 Adapter

My /usr/local/etc/ups.conf:
[triariusups]
driver = usbhid-ups
port = /dev/uhid0
desc = "UPS do servidor Triarius"
vendorid=04b4
productid=5500

When I try to start nut, got this error:
# nut start
Network UPS Tools - UPS driver controller 2.4.1
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.1)
USB communication driver 0.31
No matching HID UPS found
Driver failed to start (exit status=1)
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/nut: WARNING: failed precmd routine for nut

Can anyone, with more experience with usb-hid interfaces and NUT
help-me with this guy?

Thanks in advance,
best regards and happy holly-days,

Vinnix

[1] http://people.freebsd.org/~thierry/nut_FreeBSD_HowTo.txt

[2] Bus /dev/usb Device /dev/ugen1.3: ID 04b4:5500 Cypress
Semiconductor Corp. HID->COM RS232 Adapter
Device Descriptor:
  bLength                18
  bDescriptorType         1
  bcdUSB               1.00
  bDeviceSubClass         0
  bDeviceProtocol         0
  bMaxPacketSize0         8
  idVendor           0x04b4 Cypress Semiconductor Corp.
  idProduct          0x5500 HID->COM RS232 Adapter
  bcdDevice            0.00
  iManufacturer           1 Cypress Semiconductor
  iProduct                2 USB to Serial
  iSerial                 0
  bNumConfigurations      1
  Configuration Descriptor:
    bLength                 9
    bDescriptorType         2
    wTotalLength           41
    bNumInterfaces          1
    bConfigurationValue     1
    iConfiguration          4 Sample HID
    bmAttributes         0x80
      (Bus Powered)
    MaxPower              100mA
    Interface Descriptor:
      bLength                 9
      bDescriptorType         4
      bInterfaceNumber        0
      bAlternateSetting       0
      bNumEndpoints           2
      bInterfaceClass         3 Human Interface Device
      bInterfaceSubClass      0 No Subclass
      bInterfaceProtocol      0 None
      iInterface              0
        HID Device Descriptor: