usb/137341: driver if_rum doesn't work at all and throws panics

O.Herold oliver at akephalos.de
Mon Aug 10 18:50:05 UTC 2009

The following reply was made to PR usb/137341; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "O.Herold" <oliver at akephalos.de>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, oliver at akephalos.de
Subject: Re: usb/137341: driver if_rum doesn't work at all and throws
 panics
Date: Mon, 10 Aug 2009 20:48:26 +0200

 Well I cannot provide anything anymore because too many panics destroyed
 my slice. Well after much grief I installed just out of curiosity FBSD
 7.2R and guess what? Apart from some performance drops it works like a
 charm. I restarted the network several times without any problems, I just
 pulled the stick from the usb port within some data transfers etc. - no
 panic :-)

 FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE #0: Fri May 1 07:18:07 UTC 2009
 root at driscoll.cse.buffalo.edu:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/GENERIC amd64

 In my opinion the new usb stack isn't ready for prime time or FreeBSD 8
 release should wait until it's fixed - maybe March 2009. I do know such
 up- and downturn in Linux only ... until today.

 Cheers Oliver