u3g serial device name query

Milan Obuch freebsd-usb at dino.sk
Thu Apr 30 10:32:35 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have HUAWEI 3g usb modem. It works with u3g from current. There is however
one thing I did not get working yet.

When device attaches, it is added into tree as u3gN, devd event is sent. It is
easily matched with 'device-name "u3g[0-9]"' clause in devd.conf. I can start
ppp automatically and it works well, given no other USB serial device is
present.

If another USB serial device such as uplcom is present, u3g serial ports does
not have the same name. I found no way to relate serial device name to this
event and looking in source I see no place where it is created. I would like
to put a devctl notify call there. This way I could start ppp with correct
device name even if there is some other USB serial device.

Regards,
Milan