usb thermometer - TEMPer - FreeBSD

Gavin Atkinson gavin at FreeBSD.org
Sun Apr 19 20:25:08 UTC 2009

On Tue, 14 Apr 2009, Torfinn Ingolfsen wrote:
> I got a new usb gadget, a TEMPer[1]. According to info on the net, this
> thermometer is a I2C device hooked up to a usb serial chip[2, 3]. The
> usb-to-serial chip is a WinChipHead 340 / 341, so that should work with
> the uchcom[4] driver. There was discussion about MFC'in this driver to
> RELENG_7 in february last year[5], but it doesn't seem to have happened.
>
> I tried garbbing the uchcom driver files from cvsweb and compiling the
> driver on my RELENG_7, but that didn't work. RELENG_7 as in
> root at kg-work2# uname -a
> FreeBSD kg-work2.kg4.no 7.1-STABLE FreeBSD 7.1-STABLE #4: Sun Feb  8
> 20:56:08 CET 2009     root at kg-work2.kg4.no:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SX270
> i386

You don't say from what point in time you grabbed the driver from HEAD,
but two major changes have happened in HEAD over the last few months that
may well hinder your progress somewhat: The USB stack and drivers have
been entirely replaced with a new USB stack, and the TTY subsystem has
been heavily changed so that it no longer uses the Giant lock.

Looking at the driver, I'm not sure if the latter will actually cause any
problems for you, but the former will, so I'd recommend that you start
with the uchcom source from before the new USB stack import:
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/~checkout~/src/sys/dev/usb/Attic/uchcom.c?rev=1.1;content-type=text%2Fplain

I wouldn't be too surprised if you find that compiles and works as-is.

Gavin