usb/85067: [uscanner] Cannot attach ScanJet 4300C to usb device

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri May 23 08:10:04 UTC 2008

The following reply was made to PR usb/85067; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Oliver Fromme <olli at lurza.secnetix.de>
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: usb/85067: [uscanner] Cannot attach ScanJet 4300C to usb device
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 10:02:15 +0200 (CEST)

 Just a small follow-up:  The ScanJet 4300C *still* doesn't
 work with an up-to-date 7-stable.  Same dmesg messages.

 Since this is a long-standing problem and it doesn't seem
 to be fixed anytime soon, I *strongly* recommend that the
 ScanJet 4300C entry should be removed from the uscanner(4)
 manual page, or marked as "currently broken" or similar,
 so people don't go buy that scanner, believing that it
 will work because it's explicitely listed in the manpage,
 like I did.  :-(

 Best regards
    Oliver

 PS:  From my reading of the code, the problem is not in
 uscanner(4) but rather in the non-device-specific USB bus
 code.  It seems to disable the port before it ever reaches
 uscanner's attach function.  However, I'm not a USB expert,
 so I can't tell for sure.

 In my experience the term "transparent proxy" is an oxymoron (like jumbo
 shrimp).  "Transparent" proxies seem to vary from the distortions of a
 funhouse mirror to barely translucent.  I really, really dislike them
 when trying to figure out the corrective lenses needed with each of them.
         -- R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer