fxload (ports/misc/ezload for usb firmware loading)

Steve Franks stevefranks at ieee.org
Wed May 21 16:33:41 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 5:28 AM, bridd <bridd at bridd.com> wrote:
> Hi Steve,
>
> I saw your thread
> http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2008-April/004753.html
> via googling for FreeBSD fxload equivalents.  Did you get any further
> with it?
>
> I'm wondering, because I've got an m-audio USB midi keyboard, and under
> linux it's possible to use it, using a combo of fxload, the firmware and
> a nice auto-detect script... It'd be great for me if I could get this up
> and running under FreeBSD.
>
> Anyway, I hope you don't mind the email out of the blue like this, I was
> wondering and figured it was easy enough to just ask :)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Dave // bridd

Dave,

FreeBSD has an equivalent program in ports/misc called ezload.  I just
had to add one line to it to recognize the newer hardware and it works
like a charm.  Annoyingly, the installed binary is called ezdownload,
so it took awhile to find the thing after it installed.  Included is
the patch to add the line, tell me if you don't understand patches
(patch file.c < file.patch) - basically just open it and add the line
that starts with "+" manually to the mentioned file - everyone always
assumes everyone with a *nix box is a super-hacker, and I sure ain't.

I tried pestering the ezdownload maintainer/author (can't remember
which) to add my patch and make a new release, but I never heard back.
 Guess I will have to follow up on that - don't love patching 20
programs every time I bring up a new box, and I haven't heard of old
hardware in several years, making ezload pretty much irrelevant
without the patch - everything uses the "fx2" cypress usb devices now.

I'll ask you a question in return - what software & drivers do you use
with the m-audio stuff?  I've got an m-audio UNO USB<->MIDI dongle
I've never attempted to plug in - maybe you can point me in the
direction of the apps I need to make it go!

Steve