usb/123611: BBB reset failed, STALLED from Imation/Mitsumi USB Floppy Drive

S. Hutchins seth.hutchins at baesystems.com
Mon May 12 15:40:02 UTC 2008

>Number:         123611
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       BBB reset failed, STALLED from Imation/Mitsumi USB Floppy Drive
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
Imation D353FUE Floppy Drive (reported as Mitsumi) VID 0x03ee PID 0x6901. Connecting the device to a 7.0-RELEASE system doesn't seem to work:

umass0: <MITSUMI MITSUMI USB FDD, class 0/0, rev 1.10/1.00, addr 2> on uhub0
umass0: BBB reset failed, STALLED
(after a delay, the message repeats)

This message appears to be emitted from line sys/dev/usb/umass.c:2082

Disconnect the device and the following additional messages appear:

umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, STALLED
umass0: at uhub0 port 1 (addr 2) disconnected
umass0: detached

Reproduced on Shuttle XPC w. ICH6 and an Intel Server motherboard with ICH8 host controllers:

Connecting a variety of other USB 2.0 mass storage devices to these two machines works, as well as connecting USB 2.0 devices through a USB 1.0 hub. I have no reason to believe any of the hardware is defective.

This device works on FreeBSD 6.2-RELEASE but emits messages:

Unsupported UFI command 0x35
(cam path) Synchronize cache failed, status == 0x6, scsi status == 0x00

Because the device works on 6.2-RELEASE, this may be a regression. It also works on Linux-2.6.23.15-137.fc8.
>How-To-Repeat:
Connect the Imation device described above to the FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE system. Observe the message described above, and observe that it repeats after a delay. Observe that there is no device node for the device and consequently no I/O can be started.