Crash when booting with umass device connected

Paul Schmehl pschmehl_lists at tx.rr.com
Mon Jul 14 17:05:13 UTC 2008

I'd like to work with someone to provide useful information about this problem.
Ever since upgrading my workstation to 7.0 STABLE, I cannot boot with my umass
device connected.  Once the system is up and running, I can mount the device
with no problems.

During the boot process, the device is detected, but then it causes a kernel
panic.  I'm logging the console to console.log, but there is no useful
information there.  I've enabled USB_DEBUG and rebuilt the kernel, but I have
no idea how to capture the information printed to the console when this failure
occurs.  (I'm seriously considering taking a photograph of the screen since I
can't do a screenshot and I can't find the information in any logs.)

I'd post a bug, but without some trace information, it's kind of worthless.  If
I can get help from someone knowledgeable, I'll provide whatever information is
needed to track this problem down.

--
Paul Schmehl
As if it wasn't already obvious,