getting my new graphic tablet cooperating with gimp

Chuck Robey chuckr at chuckr.org
Sun Feb 10 10:38:43 PST 2008

Kai Wang wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 09, 2008 at 05:27:55PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
>> I have a nice new UC-Logic WP8060-TAB08, sometimes called the Superpen, and
>> I want to get it working so's I can make fine art with it (yeah, I'm a
>> dreamer, so what else is new, hey?)  The return off of dmesg is:
>>
>> ums0: <UC-LOGIC Tablet WP8060U, class 0/0, rev 1.10/0.00, addr 2> on uhub0
>> ums0: X report 0x0002 not supported
>> device_attach: ums0 attach returned 6
>
> This is because your tablet use absolute coordinates (most tablets do)
> while ums(4) currently only support relative ones.
>
> Could you please try to dump your pen's report descriptor and paste it
> here, thus we can have more infomation?
>
> You can do it by:
>
> Download the tool:
>    http://people.freebsd.org/~kaiw/tools/krepdump.tgz
>
> # tar xzvf krepdump.tgz
> # cd krepdump
> # make
> # kldload ./krepdump.ko
>
> Then connect your superpen to the usb port, (if it is already connected
> you will have to disconnect it first) the report descriptor will be
> printed on the console. (or you can type 'dmesg' to see it)
>
> --
> Kai

Kai, another thing just occurred to me, you mgith need a physical
description of the system.  It comes with a stylus that has a replaceable
plastic tip, and 3 extra tips are packaged with it.  The stylus itself has
a 1.5 volt AAA cell in it, and the barrel of the stylus has a rocker switch
on it, one that seems to have 3 positions: a center position, which I would
probably define as "rest", to which it remains when no force is applied,
and the switch may be rocked either forward (nearer to the tip) or backward
(away from the tip).  There might possibly be a third position that might
be defined, because the light on the top of the tablet itself comes on
solid when the tip of the pen touches it, and that might possibly be
defined as a third button, sort of mimicing a 3 button mouse.

I understand from company literature that the tablet allows 1024 levels of
force gradient, to select differing widths of brushes in applications such
as gimp.

Like I siad, the tablet has a green LED which is mounted at the top center
of the tablet.  The writing area is 8 inches wide by 6 inches tall, and is
covered by a translucent piece of fairly heavy (maybe 10 mil?) plastic.  I
noted no spares for this in the package.  They will probably sell
replacements for this covering, as it would be a very natural place for a
particular application to emblazon a series of hot areas for special input..