usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Mon Dec 22 06:49:17 PST 2008

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

 > You need to copy libusb20 (installed by default) over libusb0.1xxx. The libusb
 > from sourceforge does not know how to talk with the new UGEN.

YES!  That did it.  Thank you very much!

# sane-find-scanner
[...]
found USB scanner (vendor=0x03f0, product=0x0305) at libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen0.2

# scanimage -L
device `niash:libusb:/dev/usb:/dev/ugen0.2' is a Hewlett-Packard ScanJet 4300C flatbed scanner

# scanimage -v > foo.pnm
scanimage: scanning image of size 1240x1712 pixels at 24 bits/pixel
scanimage: acquiring RGB frame
scanimage: min/max graylevel value = 51/255
scanimage: read 6368640 bytes in total

# pnmfile foo.pnm
foo.pnm:        PPM raw, 1240 by 1712  maxval 255

However, it takes a _long_ time until the scanning starts
(about one minute).  Then the actual scnaning takes only
a few seconds.  The delay is independent from resolution,
scanning mode and size.  I'll need to investigate what's
causing this.

Best regards
   Oliver

"UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things,
because that would also stop you from doing clever things."
        -- Doug Gwyn