usb2 + scanner HP ScanJet 4300C

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Dec 19 07:38:58 PST 2008

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
 > Nick Hibma wrote:
 > > The uscanner driver for USB1 is very simple and does not do a set config

JFYI, usb1 didn't work with this scanner at all.  That's
why I installed 8-current with usb2 on this workstation
after all.

 > > HPS: set config index is not guarantueed to work on all devices. It's also
 > > normally not necessary, unless you want to change the configuration. There
 > > are of course devices that require it.
 >
 > Is the number of configurations field zero in the device descriptor?

No, it seems to be 1:

# usbconfig -u 0 -a 2 dump_device_desc
ugen0.2: <Scanjet 4300C Hewlett Packard> at usbus0, cfg=255 md=HOST spd=FULL (12Mbps) pwr=ON
  bLength = 0x0012
  bDescriptorType = 0x0001
  bcdUSB = 0x0100
  bDeviceClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceSubClass = 0x0000
  bDeviceProtocol = 0x0000
  bMaxPacketSize0 = 0x0008
  idVendor = 0x03f0
  idProduct = 0x0305
  bcdDevice = 0x0000
[*** long pause here! ***]
  iManufacturer = 0x000a  <retrieving string failed>
[*** long pause here! ***]
  iProduct = 0x000b  <retrieving string failed>
[*** long pause here! ***]
  iSerialNumber = 0x000c  <retrieving string failed>
  bNumConfigurations = 0x0001

This is with the patch that makes the scanner attach
(i.e. "err = 0").  If you need more information, please
let me know.

Unfortunately, the scanner attaches to ugen, not uscanner.
So there is no /dev/uscanner*, so SANE doesn't find it.  :-(
The scanner is listed in uscanner2.c, product ID and
vendor ID match.  Looks like more debugging is needed.

Best regards
   Oliver

"Being really good at C++ is like being really good
at using rocks to sharpen sticks."
        -- Thant Tessman