Device IDs for HP hs2300 HSDPA modem

Michael freebsdusb at bindone.de
Mon Dec 1 15:18:01 PST 2008

Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008, Michael wrote:
>
>> Sorry, this contains some off-topic questions, maybe you have answers
>> anyway...
>>
>> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:

>>> Do you have serial/u3g2.c ?
>>>
>>> --HPS
>>>
>> Nope. I used csup to get HEAD on the 15th. CVSWeb says that u3g2.c has
>> been checked in 33 hours ago. I would assume that using cvs isn't really
>> recommended for current anymore. What is the best way to follow current
>> nowadays (SVN/perforce)? My problem is, that I'm actually performing
>> work on this machine, so I'm not too keen to upgrade constantly (but I
>> required current for various devices) and usb1 works okay right now. So
>> maybe somebody can just bring in the devive ids into current that are
>> proven to work in USB1 (which works okay for me right now), since
>> obviously I'm not authorized to submit changes anyway - if I have some
>> extra time  I might checkout the usb2 changes of the last couple of
>> weeks and test if it actually works  with this device entry and report
>> back to you. Who is repsonsible for checking in the patches to usb1?
>>

> Hi Michael,
>
> I think SVN is more up to date. Just give it some time and CVS will be updated
> aswell.
>

>> Btw, are there any advantages of using USB2 in terms of power management
>> on a laptop (even with no external devices attached)?
>>

> Not yet. Probably I will add some simple power management support after
> new-year. Be aware that many USB devices have broken suspend/resume support
> and can fail, so leaving the power on is sometimes better.
>
> When no devices are attached, I am going to add support so that the HC is
> turned off. That will save some power.
>
> Remember that suspend/resume cycles introduce extra latency getting the system
> up and running again.
>

>> (this might
>> actually motivate me to play a little bit more with it - right now the
>> overall power consumption is about 40% higher compared to using products
>> made in  Redmond).
>>

>> I'm also developing a special acpi driver for HP
>> machines right now I will most likely submit in a few weeks. Do you
>> think it is appropriate to submit this to freebsd-acpi for review?
>>

> Yes, and CC "Nate Lawson <nate at root.org>"
>
> --HPS

Thanks for the info regarding  acpi.
I've got my HSDPA enabled SIM card today and have a couple of questions:
1.  The Sierra MC8775 chipsets are defined as U3GSP_HSDPA in u3g.c,
which matches their marketing
    (vendor and provider) name, but it seems that based on the
downstream definition this means only 1.2MBit/s,
    while chipset and network are supposed to deliver at least 3.6MBit/s
(or optional 7.2), so I think
    they should be defined as HSPA (7.2MBit up/384kbit down)
2. I tried the card using basically the same ppp profile as before, but
at any reasonable amount of traffic (reasonable
   could by typing ls on a remote host), I get "ucom0: ucomreadcb:
IOERROR" and the port stalls. I'm wondering if this
   is some kind of side-effect of rate switching (I know nothing about
the technology, so all I can do is guess).
   It's just interesting, because it's the same machine, same
configuration, the ony differences are
   a) Different SIM card/provider (E-Plus before, vodafone now)
   b) HSDPA instead of UMTS (and a higher port speed of course
1.2MBit/7.2Mbit - tried both settings)
   Using the UMTS SIM I had before I've been able to use the internet at
approx. 45KByte/s for >1hour, now it crashes
  within seconds.
3. I tried using a current checkout of usb2 (and added all the device
IDs necessary), but serial_3g is missing (and therefore
   commented out in sys/modules/usb2/Makefile), so I'm stuck there as
well. Is there actual hope that the problem
  might not appear when using usb2? (all I know about usb2 is that it's
supposed to be giant-free, no idea if it can
  handle these issues any better - seems like at least 50% of USB
devices are violating the standard in one way or
  another anyway).

Is there anything else I can do to debug the issue (all I found online
were people with issues using motorola and nokia phones and a workaround
that basically ignores io erros in ucom, which sounds dirty to me)?

/Michael