usb4bsd patch review [was Re: ...]

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Aug 21 16:38:32 UTC 2008

On Thursday 21 August 2008, Kris Kennaway wrote:
> Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> >> * How much of the userland support is incomplete or in flux, and what
> >> functionality is missing for users of the usb2 code until it is
> >> finished?
> >
> > The USB userland library is nearly complete. All it lacks is proper
> > documentation:
> >
> > svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
> >       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/libusb20
> >
> > The USB config utility is also starting to become finished. It will be
> > renamed to usbconfig. Currently it is called usbview :
> >
> > svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
> >       checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbview
>
> So...what functionality is missing for users of the usb2 code until it
> is finished?
>
> Stated even more clearly, what things will users of the USB2 code not be
> able to do until the above userland code is imported?
>
> Seriously, I'm trying to understand this!

Hi,

There are some USB drivers which run in userland that will not work until this
library is complete. These are currently not part of the FreeBSD
distribution. You find them in /usr/ports :

grep libusb /usr/ports/INDEX

The kernel USB drivers provided under /sys/dev/usb2 do not directly depend on
any userland utilities, but rather indirectly through the TTY, KBD, NET ...

One exception is the USB mouse driver which depends on "moused", and currently
have some warnings because moused tries to load the old ums module, which
fails.