usb4bsd patch review [was Re: ...]

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Thu Aug 21 15:50:09 UTC 2008

Hi,

> OK.  Based on this review thread I think we have agreed that:
>
> * The ARM changes were already imported separately by warner

Great.

> * the sound changes will not go in since they're unrelated to USB and
> there are some unresolved questions there.  It sounds like there are
> real bugs identified and possibly also fixed there, so I continue to
> encourage you or Hans to follow up with the sound developers so the
> problems can be resolved separately.

Fine.

> * the newbus change is not needed (but warner liked Hans's helper
> function so maybe that should be committed separately)

Fine.

> * the ndis module is not complete and will not go in yet, and the
> question about the above #ifdef will be resolved in the meantime

Fine.

> * hans is going to work on adding back the individual drivers instead of
> bundling them

Fine.

> * you and hans will work on the manpages post-commit with help from the
> doc guys

Fine.

> Questions remaining:
>
> * Why is the PAGE_SHIFT change necessary?

According to what Warner stated in a recent e-mail, the page PAGE_SHIFT
re-definition by the NDIS is redundant and can be removed.

> * The $FreeBSD$ expansion in files that were copied - will this confuse
> SVN or the CVS exporter?  In CVS we had to make sure not to import
> expanded tags.  Easiest solution is to just unexpand them.

Alfred, you have to answer this.

> * How much of the userland support is incomplete or in flux, and what
> functionality is missing for users of the usb2 code until it is finished?

The USB userland library is nearly complete. All it lacks is proper
documentation:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/libusb20

The USB config utility is also starting to become finished. It will be renamed
to usbconfig. Currently it is called usbview :

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b/trunk/usbview