USB wired mouse not working

Fabio Pennati fabiopnn at tele2.it
Thu Apr 3 15:30:54 UTC 2008

   I installed FreeBSD Release 7.0 stable from ftp.
   I found the following problems:
   1) I can boot only in "rescue mode"; all other options result in an
   hang. This could not be a problem if there is not influence on problem
   no.2 below.
   2) The USB mouse do not work at all, also if it is recognized during
   boot (it is configured as standard in /etc/devd.conf) and a proper
   "moused" process is started. The mouse is seen as usb generic device,
   sysmouse protocol on port /dev/ums0. I  checked also with "usbdevs"
   command  ant it appears normally on the usb hub.
   I tryed the following solution but without any results:
   - another usb mouse
   - using a GENERIC kernel configuration
   - customizing the kernel configuration without the ehci and acpi
   drivers, as suggested by someone in mailing-list
   - killing moused process and with Xorg.conf pointing directly to
   /dev/ums0 port
   - wit h the rc.conf compiled from sysinstall
   - inserting the usbd daemon start in /etc/rc.conf
   Take into account that the usb mouses work normally in Linux and WXP
   and also in FreeBSD too with a PS/2 hw adapter (also if without the
   wheel function).
   Has someone any further idea for investigation the mouse problem,
   otherwise I have to abandon FreeBSD because I cannot use the PC
   without the mouse ?
   Thanks to all,
   fabio