uscanner: HP ScanJet 4300C

Oliver Fromme olli at lurza.secnetix.de
Fri Sep 21 10:36:51 PDT 2007

Hi,

I have bought a HP ScanJet 4300C, specifically because
this very scanner is listed in FreeBSD's uscanner(4)
manpage and in SANE's list of supported USB scanners.

However, this is all I get:

uscanner0: <vendor 0x03f0 product 0x0305, class 0/0, rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2> on uhub0
uscanner0: setting config no failed
device_attach: uscanner0 attach returned 6
uhub0: port 4, set config at addr 2 failed
uhub0: device problem (TIMEOUT), disabling port 4

That's on 7-current, but it fails the same way on 6-stable.
I also tried on two different machines with different USB
chipsets, and different ports ...  No change.

It seems I'm not the only one having that problem, e.g.
see PR/93011 (which has been closed because of feedback
timeout).

Should I open a new PR?  Is there anything I can do to
help in debugging this problem?  The uscanner(4) manpage
claims that this scanner should work, so it probably _did_
work at some point in the past ...  So either the code
suffered from bit-rot and stopped working one day, or HP
silently changed something in the scanner so it's not
compatible with FreeBSD's code anymore.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!  I very much hope
I can get this scanner to work somehow.

Best regards
   Oliver

"In My Egoistical Opinion, most people's C programs should be indented
six feet downward and covered with dirt."
        -- Blair P. Houghton