ETA on HPS USB stack into CURRENT?

Anish Mistry amistry at am-productions.biz
Mon May 28 19:36:14 UTC 2007

	What requirements still need to be met before the HPS USB stack is
committed to CURRENT?  I understand that introducing a major
sub-system change so close the start of a release cycle can be very
disruptive.  My main concern is that the RELENG_7 branch will be
arriving in the next couple months and imp@ mentioned in the (Re:
UMASS pbm at startup) thread that RELENG_7 might not see the new
stack.  This means that we'll have to wait until an 8.x release
(2009?) until we see the new stack in a stock install.  Also the
current stack will then need to be supported during the entire life
of RELENG_7 which will probably into at least late 2010.
	From here on out the limitations of the current USB stack not being
MPSAFE will only become more apparent with more systems shipping with
multiple processors.  Such as not allow CPUs to drop to C3 when USB
is loaded, performance issues, and various HID parsing problems.
	With all that said what would be needed so that we could see the new
stack in 7.1 eventhough 7.0 would have the old stack?  Though this
does seem to be asking for a lot of trouble since it would be a
STABLE branch.

--
Anish Mistry
amistry at am-productions.biz