Linux USB emulation layer now committed to my new USB stack for FreeBSD

Luigi Rizzo rizzo at icir.org
Fri May 18 12:05:35 UTC 2007

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 01:04:17PM +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> If you are interested, the files are:
>
> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/sources/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_compat_linux.c
> http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/isdn4bsd/sources/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_compat_linux.h
>
> It is almost finished now.
>
> And it is not very much code.
>
> Also I have a preliminary patch for Luigi's webcam driver! But it does not
> compile yet.
>
> NOTE: Before you use a Linux USB endpoint you have to call:
>
> usb_setup_endpoint() with the buffer size you want. For isoc transfers the
> buffer size is ignored. Just set a dummy value.
>
> Do you have time to fix the rest Luigi?

not now, sorry.

But seeing the patch that you attach, let me kindly comment once
again (i have already told you multiple time) that this approach
of ignoring compatibility with existing code (usb stack/api/emulation layer,
linux device drivers) and not commenting code at all is really a
showstopper for getting your code tested and/or accepted.

E.g. see usb_compat_linux.c in the url above - basically the only
comment is the copyright - way too little for anyone to understand
what is done there.

usb_compat_linux.h is just a copy of stuff in the existing linux
usb emulation, _but_ without any comments at all (and there was a
lot of them in the existing code).

Undocumented code is almost useless for us, and nobody has the
time to reverse engineer your code and document its architecture.

cheers
luigi