All-in-one printer/scanner dilemma

Mikhail T. mi+metlife at aldan.algebra.com
Wed May 16 17:50:20 UTC 2007

Hello!

I'm looking to replace the aging (and underperforming) HP "all-in-one"
with a new device. ConsumerReports recommends Brother's offerings, such
as DCP-7020. The device appears supoprted by both ghostscript (printing)
and sane (scanning), but connects to the computer via a single USB
cable, which is the problem...

Last time I checked, having a "ulpt" and a "uscanner" devices on top of
the same actual wire was not possible. Is that still the case, and if it
is, what are my options?

The only work-around available a year ago was to:

   1. Disconnect the unit.
   2. kldunload one of the two drivers (ulpt or uscanner).
   3. kldload the other (uscanner or ulpt).
   4. Reconnect the unit.

Really, the OS should be able to handle this on its own...

Thanks for any advice! Yours,

    -mi