Call For Testers: axe(4) with Ax88178 and Ax88772 support

J.R. Oldroyd fbsd at opal.com
Fri Mar 30 19:19:27 UTC 2007

On Feb 15, 19:33, J.R. Oldroyd wrote:
> I have updated the axe(4) driver with Ax88178 and Ax88772 support.
>
> Go here to get it:
> 	http://opal.com/jr/freebsd/sys/dev/usb/

My original version of these Ax88178 and Ax88772 enhancements (back
in February) did not use the chips' input frame bursting because
the FreeBSD usb_ether framework does not support it.

I have now enhanced the driver, removing its use of the usb_ether
framework, and doing its own buffer management with large input
buffers which can handle bursts of multiple input frames in one
buffer.

The diffs and files on the web page referenced above have been
updated for this new version.

The driver appears to work, and I have set it to burst up to 4096
bytes.

The device can actually burst up to 16384 bytes.  However, if I set
it to burst more than 4096 bytes, the usb layer (ehci on my test
system) stalls, and all input stops after just a few input frames.
I'd appreciate feedback from anyone if larger burst sizes work for
you.  See the notes on that web page for details of how to change
the driver's burst size.

	-jr