usb/114682: USB media-card reader unusable

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Wed Jul 18 04:40:09 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR usb/114682; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: "M. Warner Losh" <imp at bsdimp.com>
To: mi at aldan.algebra.com
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/114682: USB media-card reader unusable
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 22:29:43 -0600 (MDT)

 In message: <200707180323.l6I3NgNb001097 at aldan.algebra.com>
             "Mikhail T." <mi at aldan.algebra.com> writes:
 : 	And the command fails eventually with "can't open device
 : 	/dev/da2: Input/output error".
 :
 : 	The only way to get to the data, apparently, is to boot
 : 	with the card inserted -- unacceptable in most cases :(
 :
 : 	I first observed this with the kernel from June 7, 2007.
 : 	But I was using an EXTERNAL reader before then...
 :
 : 	The problem is still here with 6.2-stable from July 17th.

 A couple of things.

 First, have you tried -current?  A boatload of quirks have gone into
 the tree.

 Next, have you tried to different quirks available for this device?

 Warner