umass/cam headaches

Ulrich Spoerlein uspoerlein at gmail.com
Fri Jul 6 16:43:23 UTC 2007

On Thu, 05.07.2007 at 21:14:31 -0600, M. Warner Losh wrote:
> In message: <20070705184309.GD2749 at roadrunner.q.local>
>             Ulrich Spoerlein <uspoerlein at gmail.com> writes:
> : I'm still fighting with getting my ext. Plextor drive to read retail
> : DVDs and noticed these new printfs. I don't know *what* has been done to
> : CAM or cd(4) or umass(4) during the last week. But my drive is working
> : way better than before.
>
> I'm unsure what I've done, but you are welcome.

I've spoken too soon. I did not change the configuration in any way, but
after rebooting am at square one again.

> : Then what about 0x46 and 0x4a? Could they be the source of my problem?
> : What's with the SCSI status errors? Is READ(10) telling me it's using 10
> : byte commands? The CDB is 10 bytes.
>
> I'm afraid I don't know your problem.  What kind of retail DVDs are
> you reading?  Movies?

Any kind of retail (== non-self burned) DVDs, be they video DVDs or data
DVDs as you find frequently with PC magazines.

It's not that I can get mplayer/xine working, it's that the drive
refuses even the most basic ioctl once such a media is inserted. Just
like non is inserted at all. Yet the driver somehow groks it, at least
upon device detection

umass0: <PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-755A, class 0/0, rev 2.00/4.35, addr 8> on uhub3
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <PLEXTOR DVDR   PX-755A 1.06> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 40.000MB/s transfers
cd0: cd present [4169920 x 2048 byte records]

So, its telling me the size of the disk, but then
# diskinfo -v /dev/cd0
diskinfo: /dev/cd0: ioctl(DIOCGMEDIASIZE) failed, probably not a disk.: No such file or directory
Exit 1

Neither cat(1), dd(1), or any other tool can do something about it.

When I wrote my last mail, I did change the media several times and
besides some noise error messages they would mostly work (hey, glabel
found the disk label, what more can I expect!).

Are there good OpenBSD or NetBSD Live CDs out there? I already confirmed
that the drive is working fine under Windows and Linux, so testing under
other BSDs would be the next step.

Cheers,
Ulrich Spoerlein
--
"The trouble with the dictionary is you have to know how the word is
spelled before you can look it up to see how it is spelled."