usb midi devices

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Wed Jan 31 23:01:56 UTC 2007

On Wednesday 31 January 2007 17:30, Christian Schüler wrote:
> Hi list,
> I'd like to know what support FreeBSD has for class-compatible midi
> keyboards in the usb driver. I read something about 'umidi' device but
> it doesn't seem to work. For instance, can I run programs like
> Rosegarden and they will detect the keyboard as midi-input device? For
> not to confuse the meaning of keyboard here, I'm talking about things
> like this:
> http://www.roland.com/products/en/PCR-500/index.html
> thanks in advance

In the USB perforce project, uaudio.c contains a class driver for MIDI
devices, but it currently does not attach to the MIDI system available in
FreeBSD. In only provides you with a raw MIDI device, /dev/umidiX.X .

If you want to help improve the umidi stuff, have a look here:

http://perforce.freebsd.org/fileLogView.cgi?FSPC=//depot/projects/usb/src/sys/dev/sound/usb/uaudio.c