New USB stack on non x86 processors

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at freebsd.org
Fri Jan 26 15:52:00 UTC 2007

Hi,

If you've got problems getting the new USB stack working on non-x86
processors, try to disable all compiler optimizations when you compile the
USB module. I am sorry to say that there is a bug in GCC that prevents some
parts of the USB code from functioning correctly. And don't ask how many
hours were wasted debugging this. And yes, the code is plain simple C.

I've gotten some help debugging this, but if more people want to help, send me
a private e-mail, and I will give you the details on the exact problem so
far.

Is this an indication that we might have to remove -O2 from the kernel
compilation flag?