usb/46176: commit references a PR

dfilter service dfilter at FreeBSD.org
Thu Dec 27 08:40:03 PST 2007

The following reply was made to PR usb/46176; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: dfilter at FreeBSD.ORG (dfilter service)
To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org
Subject: Re: usb/46176: commit references a PR
Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 16:38:34 +0000 (UTC)

 imp         2007-12-27 16:38:29 UTC

   FreeBSD src repository

   Modified files:
     sys/kern             vfs_bio.c vfs_mount.c
   Log:
   A partial solution to some of the 'pull the umass device with a
   mounted FS' problems.  These are more along the lines of 'avoiding an
   avoidable panic' than a complete solution to removable devices.  We
   now close the barn door after the horse has gotten lose and has been
   hit by a truck, as it were.  The barn no longer catches fire in this
   case, but the horse is still dead :-).

   The vfs_bio.c fix causes us not to put a failed write back into the
   dirty pool if the error returned was ENXIO.  In that case, the buffer
   is treated like any other clean buffer that's being retured.  ENXIO
   means the device isn't there anymore and will never be there again in
   the future, so retrying is futile.

   The vfs_mount.c fix treats 'ENXIO' as success for unmounting a file
   system.  If the device is gone, retrying later won't help and we'll
   never be able to unmount the device.

   These two are part of a larger patch set submitted by the author.  The
   other patches will be forth coming.  I added comments to these two
   patches.

   Submitted by: Henrik Gulbrandsen
   Reviewed by: phk@
   PR: usb/46176 (partial)

   Revision  Changes    Path
   1.531     +4 -0      src/sys/kern/vfs_bio.c
   1.269     +7 -2      src/sys/kern/vfs_mount.c