PR backlog

Richard Neese r.neese at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 12:42:54 PST 2007

I agree with this and there is also the 2nd issue of commiters not responding
to those working on updating ports.

Point and Fax I have emaile Sobomax about fixing and updating the asterisk
ports. and have sent patches but never got a reply in 9 months.

If your going to be a maintainer you need to respond to those working on
projects already in ports.

On December 26, 2007 10:42:24 am M. Warner Losh wrote:
> Mark and Henrik make a number of good points here.  Rather than reply
> to the details, I'm going to make a couple of quick observations.
>
> As a project we're not leveraging the community sufficiently when it
> comes to contributions.  The current system of patch review and
> submission is very hap-hazard.  If you happen to get the attention of
> the right person at the right time, then it goes in.  If not, patches
> can languish a long time in the PR system.
>
> The PR system is also the wrong tool for the job.  While Mark touches
> on the cultural issues in play, they are exacerbated by the
> misapplication of a problem system to be a patch submission and
> tracking system.  Maybe we need to adopt a practice from the Linux
> community.  At least for arm kernel patches, there is a two step
> process: submit it to a mailing list for review and refinement, with
> the second step being submitting it into a queue.  I'm not sure the
> details we need to be successful in the FreeBSD project.
>
> Many of the USB patches in the PR system I left alone because I didn't
> have the time and/or knowledge to evaluate them for inclusion, or I
> saw something obviously wrong in the patch.  When I was trying to just
> get through the obviously trivial patches.
>
> Warner

Welcome to the World. An the World gets smaller.