usb/umass, devfs: this sucks

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Tue Dec 25 23:36:20 PST 2007

In message: <200712260038.11546 at aldan>
            Mikhail Teterin <mi+kde at aldan.algebra.com> writes:
: If we want people to give FreeBSD a try in good faith, it is both profoundly
: stupid and dishonest on our part to claim, we have a working USB-system... It
: does not matter, how great our buffer-sharing VM is, if a home user can't
: process their photos with a FreeBSD-powered computer.

In an ideal world, it would be perfect.

However, all the USB hardware I've recently purchased actually does
work without a hitch on my FreeBSD system.  Older card readers are
more problematic.

Rather than complain about the system, how about merging RELENG_7's
usb stack to RELENG_6?  Or fixing a few bugs from the PRs that are
filed?  I did my time in a big push for 7.0, maybe some other people
can help out a little too?

Warner