usb/115400: [ehci] Problem with EHCI on ASUS M2N4-SLI

Garrett Wollman wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu
Fri Aug 10 22:50:13 UTC 2007

The following reply was made to PR usb/115400; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Garrett Wollman <wollman at hergotha.csail.mit.edu>
To: freebsd-gnats-submit at freebsd.org
Subject: Re: usb/115400: [ehci] Problem with EHCI on ASUS M2N4-SLI
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2007 18:23:12 -0400 (EDT)

 >Old Synopsis: Problem with EHCI on ASUS M2N4-SLI
 >New Synopsis: [ehci] Problem with EHCI on ASUS M2N4-SLI

 Sorry to tag along here, but I feel the need to note that EHCI has
 *never* worked for me, on any hardware platform.  On my 6.2 machines,
 attempting to use a USB 2.0 mass-storage device reliably results in a
 CPU reset (presumably by way of a triple fault).  The symptoms were
 the same in 5.x.  The only workaround I've found has been to compile a
 custom kernel without the ehci driver, but it would be nice if this
 worked some day.

 FWIW, these are all AMD machines, and the symptoms are the same on VIA
 (ASUS A8V), NVIDIA (ASUS A8N-E), and SIS (Acer Aspire 5002) chipsets.
 The machine with the NVIDIA chipset runs in 32-bit mode, and replaced
 an earlier ASUS A7something with a VIA chipset and the same symptoms.

 -GAWollman