umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT on internal card reader

Hans Petter Selasky hselasky at c2i.net
Fri Apr 20 06:11:52 UTC 2007

On Thursday 19 April 2007 20:13, Mike Durian wrote:
> I just installed a Shuttle PC22 "22-in-1 Card Reader" and get
> 	umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
> 	umass0: BBB bulk-in clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> 	umass0: BBB bulk-out clear stall failed, TIMEOUT
> errors without any media inserted.
>
> From dmesg:
> umass0: USB2.0 CardReader, rev 2.00/91.44, addr 2
> da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
> da0: <USB2.0 CF  CardReader 9144> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
> da1: <USB2.0 SM  CardReader 9144> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 2
> da2: <USB2.0 SD  CardReader 9144> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da2: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
> da3 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 3
> da3: <USB2.0 MS  CardReader 9144> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
> da3: 40.000MB/s transfers
> da3: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
>

> From usbdevs -v:
> addr 1: high speed, self powered, config 1, EHCI root hub(0x0000),
> VIA(0x0000), rev 1.00
>  port 1 powered
>  port 2 powered
>  port 3 powered
>  port 4 powered
>  port 5 addr 2: high speed, power 500 mA, config 1, CardReader(0x0500),
> USB2.0 (0x07cc), rev 91.44
>  port 6 powered
>  port 7 powered
>  port 8 powered
>

> It looks like the device is using a Carry WIN II chip.  I believe
> the part number for this chip is 0639MMTQM03-07G.  There is also a
> smaller ST chip on the board.  Otherwise it is just physical
> connectors and discretes.
>
> I suspect umass.c needs a umass_devdescrs entry for this device.
> How does one go about determining the necessary proto and quirk
> values?

I would suggest you install the new USB stack from:

http://www.turbocat.net/~hselasky/usb4bsd/

How to get the latest sources:

svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn \
      checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
#
# The following commands will
# install the driver on FreeBSD:
#
cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
make S=../src package
make install

Install on FreeBSD 6.x .

When you have rebooted your computer, then you turn on debugging:

sysctl hw.usb.umass.debug=-1

Then post the dmesg you get.