USB printer problem (/dev/lpt0: Device busy.)

m0f0x el.mofo at uol.com.br
Thu Oct 19 05:26:09 UTC 2006

Hello,

This week I got a HP LaserJet 1022 BW laser printer (USB connection). This printer is marked as "works perfectly" in LinuxPrinting.org (yes, I know, BSD differs from Linux).

Well, first, I tried the printer on a friend's box, running Linux. The printer worked fine (CUPS) with the correct setup (filters, driver).

But, on my FreeBSD box, things didn't went very well. I saw a lot of users reporting the same problem that I'm having here: the USB port is always busy when the printer is attached.

The printer is recognized by the system without any problem:
	ulpt0: Hewlett-Packard HP LaserJet 1022, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2, iclass 7/1
	ulpt0: using bi-directional mode

A simple test, the same test that were found on previous messages about this problem:
	lptest > /dev/lpt0
	/dev/lpt0: Device busy.

Well, I even tried to use a proposed patch to ulpt.c (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-usb/2005-July/001255.html), but no success.

Any clues/hints?