6.x fix for 90162 (was Re: usb/90162: [usb] [patch] Add support for the MS Wireless USB Mouse)

Markus Brueffer markus at FreeBSD.org
Tue Nov 21 01:22:36 UTC 2006

On Monday 20 November 2006 19:00, Dorr H. Clark wrote:
> The following reply was made to PR usb/90162; it has been noted by GNATS.
>
> From: "Dorr H. Clark" <dclark at engr.scu.edu>
> To: bug-followup at FreeBSD.org, hm at FreeBSD.org
> Subject: 6.x fix for 90162 (was Re: usb/90162: [usb] [patch] Add support
> for the MS Wireless USB Mouse)
> Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 09:52:53 -0800
>
>  This change adds support for the Microsoft Wireless Notebook
>  Optical Mouse, which fixes 90162.  The fix addresses the 3 problems
>  associated with this mouse: its misrepresentation as a uhid device,
>  invalid offsets for its buttons and x,y,z position coordinates,
>  and the phantom button click.
>
>  The first problem is resolved by bypassing hid_is_collection() and
>  reading the usb interface descriptor directly to detect a usb mouse.
>  The second problem is resolved by hard coding the offsets of the
>  mouse's buttons.  The third problem is resolved by ignoring all
>  interrupts requests for that mouse with the first byte of ibuf
>  set to 0x14.

The real problem here is twofold:

1. Our HID parser has major shortcomings in many ways, which are e.g.
   responsible for the messed up item positions you are seeing.
2. ums(4) can only handle mice which report relevant events in a
   report with id 0. If a report with a different id comes in (0x14 in this
   case), things get messy.

I'm currently working on a fix for this as well as our other HID drivers and
related userland tools.

Cheers,

Markus

--