usb/97175: USB cardreader hangs system

Jürgen Herz juergen at jherz.redirectme.net
Fri May 12 14:00:47 UTC 2006

>Number:         97175
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       USB cardreader hangs system
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical
On 6.0-RELEASE and now 6.1-RELEASE I've the problem that using my internal front panel card reader, attached via the USB connector on the mainboard results in stopping the boot process.

dmesg shows this while booting
umass0: Generic USB Storage Device, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
da0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
da0: <Generic USB Storage-CFC I16A> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da0: 40.000MB/s transfers
da0: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da1 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 1
da1: <Generic USB Storage-MSC I16A> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da1: 40.000MB/s transfers
da1: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da2 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 2
da2: <Generic USB Storage-SMC I16A> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da2: 40.000MB/s transfers
da2: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
da3 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 3
da3: <Generic USB Storage-SDC I16A> Removable Direct Access SCSI-0 device
da3: 40.000MB/s transfers
da3: Attempt to query device size failed: NOT READY, Medium not present
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): READ CAPACITY. CDB: 25 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): CAM Status: SCSI Status Error
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): SCSI Status: Check Condition
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Medium not present
(da0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): Unretryable error
    same block for da1 to da3 three times each
and then shows
umass0: BBB reset failed, TIMEOUT
several times in large time intervals. If I plug the card reader off, the boot process continues then.

If I plug the card reader in after booting, same text is output but I cannot use the reader since it doesn't react upon inserting a memory card.
Before and after only /dev/da0, /dev/da1, /dev/da2 and /dev/da3 are available.

Basically using cards in the reader works, but only if the card is already inserted while booting and reader is plugged in (in this case I get a mountable /dev/da0s1). But this isn't the idea of removeable media.

The reader, resp. the chipset it uses, is wide spread since it has the vendor and product codes of the NEODIO ND3260 (0x0aec 0x3260) from sys/dev/usb/usbdevs. And under Windows as well on Linux it also works flawless.

camcontrol devlist -v lists
scbus0 on umass-sim0 bus 0:
<Generic USB Storage-CFC I16A>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 0 (pass0,da0)
<Generic USB Storage-MSC I16A>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 1 (pass1,da1)
<Generic USB Storage-SMC I16A>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 2 (pass2,da2)
<Generic USB Storage-SDC I16A>     at scbus0 target 0 lun 3 (pass3,da3)
scbus1 on sym0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus1 target -1 lun -1 ()
scbus-1 on xpt0 bus 0:
<  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)

I tried release 5.4 after that and while I wasn't able to produce the hang while booting (but only bootet that system about 10 times) it also doesn't work when inserting a card.

I already tried the quirks DA_Q_NO_SYNC_CACHE and DA_Q_NO_6_BYTE without success.

And yes, I think the card reader is fine since Windows and Linux have no problem with it.
>How-To-Repeat:
Plug the card reader in and boot.