USB sound

Paul Dokas dokas at oitsec.umn.edu
Fri Jun 30 15:03:24 UTC 2006

Can anyone recommend a USB attached audio device that works well with
FreeBSD 6.1?  I've got a newer Dell Latitude that has a builtin HD audio
chipset for which there is no support.  My requirements for any such
device are:

  + analog jacks for mic, line in and line out
  + handles multiple sampling rates including 44.1K and 48K
  + 16 bit stereo
  + very low noise characteristics
  + self powered
  + small

I specifically do not need some features that lots of vendors seem to
stress, like 5.1 support and surround effects.  I'll be using this
device as an interface between the computer and a radio for digital
modes on shortwave.

The following place seems to have several devices that meet these
requirements:  http://www.usbgear.com/USB-Sound.html   But I'd rather
not buy one blindly and have it not work.

Paul
Paul Dokas                                     dokas at oitsec.umn.edu