Dead USB keyboard problem and solution

Bryan Liesner bryan at kishka.net
Tue Jun 6 11:45:11 UTC 2006

I recently replaced my PS/2 keyboard with a USB keyboard.  Works
great, but with one exception.  If the system is rebooted, it's easy
enough to get into the BIOS settings, but after the boot process
starts, the keyboard is dead until the kernel is loaded.  So hitting
the space bar to get to a loader prompt to boot kernel.old or perhaps
putting in a boot -v was impossible.

I poked around on the mailing lists and saw that some others were
having the same issue, with no real answers.

On a lark, I decided to try GRUB.  Replacing the BSD boot blocks with
GRUB resolved this issue for me.  Now, when the system starts, I don't
lose the keyboard and can hit the space bar when the loader starts to
get to a prompt.

This brings up an interesting question, probably for another list.
What are the FreeBSD boot blocks doing (or not doing) that cause the
loss of legacy USB support?

-Bryan