usb/101096: USB WLAN occasionally causes kernel-panics during large downloads

Pascal G. Hofstee caelian at gmail.com
Mon Jul 31 21:57:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-31 at 16:32 +0200, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think the new "if_ural" has this problem fixed, and a couple of others.
> Could you have tried the following:
>
> I recommend that you fetch all files from SVN. The SVN port is available from
> /usr/ports/devel/subversion . After Subversion is installed you run:
>
> svn --username anonsvn --password anonsvn checkout svn://svn.turbocat.net/i4b
>
> cd i4b/trunk/i4b/FreeBSD.usb
>
> make S=../src package
> make install
>
> Follow the "make help" instructions.
>
> It might be a good idea to build all kernel modules.
>
> Before you build the kernel copy the following files into
> "/usr/src/sys/dev/usb/":
>
> i4b/trunk/i4b/src/sys/dev/usb/if_ural.c
> i4b/trunk/i4b/src/sys/dev/usb/if_uralreg.h
> i4b/trunk/i4b/src/sys/dev/usb/if_uralvar.h
>
> NOTE: the kernel build will most likely fail, unless you are using
> FreeBSD-7-current. If it fails because there are missing product ID defines,
> then just remove these lines from the "ural_devs" structure in "if_ural.c". If
> it fails because "IEEE80211_FEXT_SWBMISS" is not defined, then change the
> failing code to something like this:
>
> #ifdef IEEE80211_FEXT_SWBMISS
>         /* enable SW bmiss handling in sta mode */
>         ic->ic_flags_ext |= IEEE80211_FEXT_SWBMISS;
> #endif
>
> Else please report the error, if you cannot resolve it.

Well .. i had already updated my source-tree to RELENG_6 so i decided to
follow the instructions provided and built/installed world and kernel
entirely and am now on 6.1-STABLE.

The kernel did build without problems ... however upon booting the new
kernel i now get boatloads of acpi failure messages

acpi: bad write to port 0xcf8 (32), val 0x80002084
acpi: bad read from port 0xcfc (32)

The system does come up fully multi-user and appears to work normally
though. I'll keep an eye out to see if the kernel panics are now
resolved.

--
  Pascal Hofstee