Mounting multiple ram sticks dynamicly

Julian Stacey jhs at berklix.org
Wed Jul 5 16:01:46 UTC 2006

Hi USB people,
I have various USB ram sticks & external hard disks, that get mounted
periodically in various machines in variable time order, sometimes
with several media on one host simultaneously, thus /dev/da0 is not
sufficient, & /etc/usbd.conf needs to specify dynamic da[0-9]
numbering.

I use eg: (For a stick by manufacturer Integral), this typical syntax
	attach "sleep 3; fdisk /dev/`echo ${DEVNAME}|sed -e s/umass/da/`; \
		 mount -t msdos /dev/`echo ${DEVNAME}|sed -e s/umass/da/`s1 \
		/usb/integral"

It works, but is cludgey (OK & would be a problem on machines with
inbuilt scsi disks), Is there a better dynamic numbering system ?
Devd somehow maybe ? Or ?  Ideas ?
(It could also be nice if best solution made as an example in man usbd.conf.)

Julian
--
Julian Stacey.	Internet & Unix Consultant, Munich.	http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML = spam.      Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.