usb/99099: [uscanner] [patch] add support for HP ScanJet 4400c

Julian H. Stacey jhs at flat.berklix.net
Sat Jul 1 23:50:22 UTC 2006

"M. Warner Losh" wrote Sun, 18 Jun 2006 14:37:41 -0600 (MDT) (22:37 CEST)
> In message: <20060618222342.2c9f4313 at Magellan.Leidinger.net>
>             Alexander Leidinger <netchild at freebsd.org> writes:
> : Quoting "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs at flat.berklix.net> (Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:53:22 +0200):
> :
> : > Do you know who'se working on this 'cos I'm trying to get
> : > Sane & ports/graphics/sane-backend working here with my HP 4400c scanner,
> : > & if someone else has achieved that already ? ...
> :
> : I don't know. And after looking at the supported devices page of SANE
> : I'm not sure if it possible at all ATM without doing it on your own.
>
> I think the 4400 is in the same boat as the 4215 I have.  Gotta get
> HP's drivers working, and that's a bit pita...
>
> Warner

[Apologies for delay]

Dont know if this might help your 4215, but seems there's progress on my 4400,
I made notes & will download & try later:
--------
Web search:
>From http://www.neoseeker.com/Hardware/Products/4400c/
	The HP ScanJet 4400C has a flatbed design. It has a optical resolution
	of 1200x1200 dpi. It can scan a color document in about 40 seconds
	and a B&W document in about 35 seconds. It supports both parallel
	and usb connection. This scanner is PC/Mac compatible. It also
	includes 5 configurable buttons.
	Release Date:	Q4 2001
http://www.itweek.co.uk/computeractive/hardware/2012918/hp-scanjet-4400c
	Review:	$90
http://www.buzzard.me.uk/jonathan/scanners-usb.html
	ScanJet 4400C, 4470C            These scanners uses a RealTek
	RTS8891 chip to drive the scanner. Requests for information
	on this chip to RealTek have gone unanswered. There is some
	very preliminary software for these based on reverse
	engineering the Windows driver. More information on this
	can be can be found at SourceForge here.
http://reapoff.sourceforge.net/hpscanner/Default.htm
	michael.cohen at netspeed.com.au has got it working in grey scale etc
http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/showproduct.php?product=108&cat=all
	I have spoken to HP about this. The scanner uses a parallel
	port but has a USB to parallel converter in it.
http://projects.troy.rollo.name/rt-scanners/chip.html
	There is a demo SANE backend for the HP ScanJet 4400C and
	4470C at http://hp44x0backend.sourceforge.net that can do
	greyscale scanning at 300 / 600 DPI.
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=hew&model=4400&bus=any
	grayscale 300DPI only
http://hp44x0backend.sourceforge.net/
	HP4400C UNTESTED ALPHA
http://sourceforge.net/projects/hp44x0backend/
	hp_rts88xx	 Scanjet HP4470c family SANE backend (hp_rts88xx).
http://home.foni.net/~johanneshub/testtool.html
http://www.oreillynet.com/cs/user/view/cs_msg/23440
	i have too an hp 4400 c
	seems to be in fact a UMAX one with USB converter inside.:1
--------

--
Julian Stacey.  Consultant Unix Net & Sys. Eng., Munich.  http://berklix.com
Mail in Ascii, HTML=spam.     Ihr Rauch = mein allergischer Kopfschmerz.