Using a USB PenDrive for /usr

M. Warner Losh imp at bsdimp.com
Thu Jan 5 09:11:51 PST 2006

In message: <200601051459.k05ExKsS017500 at vjofn.tucs-beachin-obx-house.com>
            Tuc at T-B-O-H <ml at t-b-o-h.net> writes:
:       I've got a Soekris NET4801 running with a SanDisk 2G CF card for
: its main driverunning FreeBSD. The system seems to be doing well, but I'm
: really hurting on the /usr partition (Its 1.1G) for space. I was
: contemplating adding a 4G USB pen drive (Something like
: http://www.memoryx.net/xpe4096.html). Are there any known issues with this?
: I also need to know what the minimum items I need to configure in the kernel
: is since I try to run as lean a kernel as possible.

Since /usr is mounted 'late' in the game, there should be no problems
doing this.  Your kernel will need to have the usb device, one of ohci
and uhci, ehci, umass, scbus and da:

# USB support
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ehci		# EHCI PCI->USB interface (USB 2.0)
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da

device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required for SCSI)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)

Warner