usb/95348: USB keyboard unplug causes noise on screen

Walter C. Pelissero walter.pelissero at iesy.net
Wed Apr 5 13:20:26 UTC 2006

>Number:         95348
>Category:       usb
>Synopsis:       USB keyboard unplug causes noise on screen
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
>Environment:
System: FreeBSD zaphod.home.loc 6.0-STABLE FreeBSD 6.0-STABLE #0: Thu Jan 26 17:43:54 CET 2006 root at zaphod.home.loc:/usr/src/sys/i386/compile/TYAN-TIGER-MP i386

	Unplugging the USB keyboard causes a thin and irregular
	horizontal stripe appear near the top of the screen (xorg
	6.9.0) across almost all its width.  Moving the mouse (either
	USB or PS/2) causes this noise to change shape.  The
	consistency of the system doesn't seem to be affected by this
	stripe, though.  Occasional random characters have been
	noticed coming from the USB keyboard, like a stuck key, once
	replugged, but I couldn't repeat it reliably.

	The noise on the screen is of one uniform colour (red on my
	desktop, green on my laptop).

	Looks like someone is spilling data on the frame buffer.
>How-To-Repeat:
	Start the system.
	Start X11.
	Unplug the USB keyboard.